In my first attemps with iPhone SDK programming – while working on Running Mate’s early proof of concepts – I tested the playing of short sound effects. That’s where I encountered this strange error:
As you can see, this error is entirely meaningless on its own – if this was true, none of apps would work. Which was not the case. This happened with 2.1 final SDK, where I last checked for this.
It turns out that problem was with this line:
soundID is of type
SystemSoundID. Commenting this line out resolved the problem.
My guess here is that
SystemSoundID does not have
description properly implemented.
%@ should cover any object that accepts
description message, so it’s not strange that a beginner would try to log it as given above. And would be mightily confused by the message in the console window, as I was.
I got out of this by commenting out lines of code, one by one, starting from the last one I added.
Hopefully someone else will find this and saves oneself some time and nerves.