My first steps in web design, back in 1994, were all around fashion models. I was 20 at the time, starting 2nd year at Beg University, and it was a jolly good time of super models like Cindy, Paulina, Linda…and Yasmeen.
At first, I had a web site featuring 10-12 of them, but soon realized that it’s too much of a work for the perfectionist side of me. So I focused on just one, one I found totally mesmerizing.
The one and only. Yasmeen Ghauri.
There were several incarnations during past ten years, and current one is on-line at www.Yasmeen-Ghauri.com, built as XHTML 1.0 Strict and partially powered with MovableType.
I had one stupid blog spam attack few months ago when someone posted meaningless garbage on one blog entry. Last night, it happened again. First time I thought it was some mad idiot take it on it. But now it seems that my posts gets linked to and that spammers find me through them. Last night someone (something?) posted the following as 7 consecutive comments on Going cross-platform:
Subject: d1rKfE(DA463ACC,author)Ycj nXtRh
Previous attack was also on ADxMenu entry, so I guess those are the most popular ones. Since I’m running MT 2.661, I first though “ok, you slimy bastard, you won’t get any Page Rank boost with this”. And then I saw that URL field was populated with http://email@example.com which is useless. Typing this into browser lead me to www.aol.com and somehow I don’t believe that AOL would have any interest in doing this.
What then, was the point of this? If there was any…
My company recently did a complete overhaul of one client’s website, to structural markup. One of the things changed was that navigation is now done with ULs, which is a natural markup for it.
Navigation was a simple list of Home, Help, My account etc.
The client now plan to expand their Internet offer and replace the item Home with several business channels and wanted us to visualy separate those channels from items like My account or Help. They sent a mockup of the design they wanted, that imidiatelly put smile on my face.
Using CSS, we turned this into a horizontal list, by simply floating list items to the left. Before the redesign, this was achieved with tables. And that is why I smiled now. Using tables, this new effect client wanted would be horrible to achieve - either using all graphics, or using two table rows - one for upper part of the tabs (slanted one) and lower for the actual text.
With new markup, it was only a matter of style change and one graphic. The only change needed on the HTML markup was to add class="tab" to the list items that would be emphasized:
After months of work, starting and abandoning various designs, I settled with the theme inspired with my family’s vineyard. Colour theme reflects the winter look of the vineyard and I hope I’ll be able to reflect other seasons as well.
There is not much new in the overall data structure of the site. New addition is the list of latest comments - now I will have no excuse for not answering the questions in time.
It’s not how I wanted it to be though. My wish was to have only one column, and complete right column to be placed in the upper part of the site. When you hover the icon, appropriate section would appear. Along with that, I wanted to preserve the structural layout. As usuall, browser bugs and incomplete support came in the way.