The root of this rant is an epic journey of installing A and P from the LAMP fraternity, for the sole purpose of testing mod_rewrites.
If you were wondering why was my site off for so long, read on. I have changed hosting providers twice, changed the design, changed the blog software, change the whole platform.
I also hacked my way to nice clean URLs you see, and if my mod_rewrite rules are correct, the old URLs should silently redirect you the new ones. Please update your bookmarks.
About two months ago, Westciv decided to celebrate six years of StyleMaster with template competition. Goal was to design site template in desktop, print and handheld categories. As it happens, I’m used to regularly create all three of them. :) Using one of the runner-up graphic designs for my previous blog look, I quickly had it done, in a matter of few days, with the usual testing rounds with Mac browsers, handheld simulators and similar stuff.
From the URL, it seems I’m the third contestant that sent an entry and there were 49 entries in the end. Having entered so early, I’m even more happy that my work reached 2nd runner-up place.
Now that contest is over, I want to briefly point few things that can be found in templates I did.
About one month ago, I spent each evening in the course of one week, fidling with Movable Type 3.11, TextPattern 1.0RC1 and WordPress 1.2.1. Idea was to check the features and choose the one I will upgrade to. My goals were to:
Use dynamic publishing
I grew weary of daily, slow static republishing using MT 2.6x, each time when one spamming whore managed to pass through MT-Blacklist
Use nice URLs
I have changed my URLs once and realized I did brake a lot of links while doin' nothing to make them easier to guess. I want to use
Build custom templates
I want to craft my own way of index and archives display + have enough freedom to build custom pages for examples
These are the impressions I wrote back then.